Mexican-American journalist who has covered Mexico for many years, and is currently the Mexico City bureau chief of The Dallas Morning News. He specializes in covering the drug wars and the U.S.-Mexico border, writing stories on such topics as drug cartels and organized crime, corruption among police and government officials, and the spread of drug cartels into U.S. cities.
Midnight in Mexico
In the last six years, more than eighty thousand people have been killed in the Mexican drug war, and drug trafficking there is a multibillion-dollar business. In a country where the powerful are rarely scrutinized, noted Mexican American journalist Alfredo Corchado refuses to shrink from reporting on government corruption, murders in Juarez, or the ruthless drug cartels of Mexico. A paramilitary group spun off from the Gulf cartel, the Zetas, controls key drug routes in the north of the country. In 2007, Corchado received a tip that he could be their next target—and he had twenty four hours to find out if the threat was true.
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf: Liberia, other nations need investments in health care October 21, 2014
- Editorial: In voter ID ruling, justices side with more obstacles at the polls October 21, 2014
- Editorial: 51 fewer reasons to fear Ebola October 21, 2014
- Sharon Grigsby: Behind the grades on our report card for DISD's Mike Miles October 20, 2014
- Joe Nocera: With every new mistake, CDC becomes just another agency that can't get it right October 20, 2014
- Gracias #NAHJMx . Muy buen encuentro con colegas en #Mexico en tiempos difíciles para país y periodismo. @MekahloNBCLA @EileenTruax 2 days ago
- #NAHJMx @srnieto challenge was to challenge #mexico nArrative that all victims r criminals in drug war. Not so..@AKochergaBorder 2 days ago
- #NAHJMx guerra contra Crimean 2 days ago
- Sharing #midnightmexico story by @leathau kcrw.com/news-culture/s… The kind of work we shud support kickstarter.com/projects/17483… @AKochergaBorder 3 days ago
- Gracias @Vocalo. Great memories of Cmidwest, @AltLatino npr.org/blogs/altlatin… @Ricsand @gringanovelera @kimberkoz http://t.co/kHqwGkDjEC 4 days ago
Alfredo Corchado, Mexico bureau chief for the Dallas Morning News, Nieman Fellow ’09, and author of Midnight in Mexico: A Reporter’s Journey Through a Country’s Descent into Darkness — a Penguin memoir (Order your copy!)
Midnight in Mexico is now available in Spanish!
Connect with Midnight in Mexico:
Follow my Tumblr Page
“Like” my Facebook Page